The Restorative Justice APPG advisory board was established in April 2021. Oral and written evidence gathering sessions took place over the summer.
The goals of the APPG were:
- To examine the use of Restorative Justice principles within the UK Justice System and beyond
- To raise the profile of Restorative Justice principles within Parliament
- To provide opportunities for policy discussion and consultation
The APPG has now published the Inquiry Report and makes nine key recommendations to the government for their consideration.
Some recommendations that were notable to us:
- The the assigning of a Government minister with specific responsibility for restorative justice
- The publication of a new action plan to improve awareness of, access to and capacity for Restorative Justice
- More and better communications
‘Thank you to Elliot Colburn, Chair of the APPG, James Simon, Chair of the Advisory Board and all the Advisory Board members. Special thanks to our facilitators who provided written evidence to the Inquiry. By sharing your knowledge and experience you continue to demonstrate your unwavering commitment to providing positive outcomes for victims.’
– Julie Clark, Restorative Service Manager